More and more people are starting to realise the distinct advantages of switching from an inefficient open fire to a wood-burning stove.
An open fire can look great, but so can a wood-burning stove, many of which, can fit nicely into the space left behind, when an open fire is no longer in use. Wood burning stoves can vary in size, fitment and design. Some can look very trendy, and are designed to look in keeping with a trendy apartment. Others have more of a traditional look and feel – ideal for older properties.
Reducing your carbon footprint – A wood-burning stove can have upwards of 80% efficiency. This means upward of 80% of the heat of the fire is used to directly heat the room. With an open fire, only around 25% of the heat is available to heat a room, the other 75% is lost through the chimney. Switching from an open fire to a wood-burning stove significantly reduces your carbon footprint as you need to burn less wood for the same benefit. You also save money too.
Wood is an environmentally friendly fuel – It’s almost carbon neutral, and it is a renewable energy. Planting and harvesting trees have created a sustainable energy source. Also, trees, when they are alive takeout CO2 from the atmosphere. As a comparison gas produces 25 times more CO2 than wood and oil creates on average the equivalent to 65 times more CO2.
Suitable for new houses – Open fires are usually the preserve of older homes. However, a traditional wood-burning stove can be fitted, with ease, to a new build home. This means you can enjoy the benefits of a traditional, yet highly efficient stove in a new home.
Saving money – By switching to a wood-burning stove, from an open gas or wood fire, you could save upwards of 70% energy costs.
Things to remember with a wood-burning stove:
When lighting a fire, make sure you:
• Use the right amount of kindling
• Stack wood loosely in the firebox so air can circulate with ease
• Avoid putting too much firewood in at the start
• Avoid using wet or green wood, as this will produce poor heat and excessive smoke
Once the fire is alight, make sure you:
• Keep the fire burning brightly
• Keep the air control open for at least 2-3 minutes
• Avoid blocking the air supply to the base of the fire with a badly positioned log
• Burn a few smaller logs, as opposed to a very large one
• If you add logs, open up the air control to high for at least 2-3 minutes
• Never damp the fire down
• Let your fire burn out overnight
We have a wide range of wood-burning stoves, to suit all budgets and room sizes. You can request a brochure online today here, a member of staff will post your brochure, for you to view from the comfort of your own home….